Thursday, August 7, 2008

7th August 2008; Thursday.

National Day is just a couple of days away… 9th August 2008. I’m feeling more and more excited over it… Especially since I saw the fireworks up close about a month ago during the rehearsals (please see one of my previous posts for that story). It was so beautiful; it made me wish I was sharing it with someone special. Yes, I know it seems very much a cliché for me to feel that way but it’s undeniable that a single might judge certain moments as worth sharing with a loved one. To be a kid all over again; to marvel in wonder as the colours burst in the sky; from the darkness come brilliance in front of your very eyes. Beautiful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday was our National Day Observance Ceremony at the HQ’s Plaza. The Plaza turned out to be the space just in front of the HQ entrance.

Hmmmm…

But it was not that bad an observance ceremony. We sang the national anthem, said the pledge, had a fly-past (2 in fact) and also had some performances by children from the Little Skoolhouse and boys from the Singapore Boys’ Home. The kids were so adorable. I’ve some pictures taken of their performance too... Shall upload it when I have the time at home to sit down at my laptop. Of course, we cannot deny the sense of humour our organizing committee had when the first fly-past consisted of us throwing paper aeroplanes into the sky. Then, we had a proper one, albeit still lame though. Two electronically-operated (toy) helicopters flew past with one bearing the Singapore National Flag. Although it was funny and lame, I still felt grateful for being in this country; my country. I’m so glad.

I’m so glad we’re free, that we don’t have to always look out for something that could kill us all who were gathered there, glad that the fear of death did not hang over us and cling to our backs as a burden. I’m glad that we were there, living and breathing air that was free, that could not be snatched away in an instant. I value my freedom. Many do not realize the extent of it in this country. To be able to walk along the streets without the danger of being abducted away or worse, abducted and raped; being blown to bits or even shot dead at point-blank range. For this amount of freedom and safety, I’m just glad; grateful and glad…

This morning, I pondered very deeply (on my way to work).

How nice the world would be if every man would just spend time seeking his own heaven? But then again, that is a dangerous wish since one man’s heaven might just well be another’s hell. So where is the balance to be struck?…

~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~--~~

No comments: